Many PS4 users have stated that their PS4 turns on by itself, while others have reported that their console switches on and off repeatedly. When you turn it on, it either ejects the disc or switches to safe mode/rest mode.
Others have claimed that the PS4 system will start behaving even when the controller is detached. Have you ever seen your PlayStation turn on when you weren’t expecting it?
You may have even assumed that you forgot to turn it off and went along. It’s sometimes a hardware issue caused by a console component.
Your PS4 may switch on by itself for a variety of reasons, including wrongly installed updates, your update schedule, or even a hardware or software failure.
In this post, we’ll address any of your queries regarding the PlayStation turning on by itself.
Why Does PS4 Turns On By Itself?
These issues may be caused by many factors.
- A lack of power supply or a defective power supply is two common causes for the console to switch off. For the console to work properly, it requires a sufficient quantity of electricity. This might explain why the PS4 turns on and off so quickly.
- Another cause of the PS4 turning on by itself might be a software fault.
- The rubber foot under the eject button can frequently change the function, forcing the PS4 to switch on and eject the disc on its own.
- If automatic updates are allowed in the settings, the PS4 may switch on by itself, even if the PS4 controller is turned off.
- When the PS4 is linked to another Bluetooth device, it may also swap automatically. The PS4 is frequently turned on by the Bluetooth device.
How to Fix When PS4 Turns On By Itself?
As previously said, the software can be the root of the problem; however, checking and installing the most recent updates can occasionally assist in resolving the problem.
Reassembling your database may also work, but remember that if your data collection is huge, this may take some time.
The only way to determine which of these factors impacts your PS4 is to eliminate them one by one. The following are some really helpful techniques for resolving this problem.
Auto Update PS4:
As previously stated, if the Auto-update mode is activated in the settings, the PS4 turns on by itself. The PS4’s Auto-update feature turns on the console at night to download and install updates.
Follow the instructions below to turn off the auto-update feature:
- On the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
- Select Settings.
- Go to the Automatic Downloads section.
- Next to the System Software Update Files, disable the Auto-update option.
The Application Update Files do not need to be disabled because they only install and update applications when the PS4 is turned on.
Check Problems with the Power Supply:
- Hold the power button down for 7 seconds to turn off your PS4 system. It will beep twice to signify that it is turned off.
- Disconnect your PS4 console’s power cord from the wall outlet.
- Examine the power cables or ports to determine the source of the problem.
- Checking with spares is also an option.
Update System in Safe Mode:
A poorly installed update can occasionally make your console turn on itself (this is rare, but it does happen).
If your PS4 turns itself on safely, consider upgrading to safe mode to see if it addresses the problem.
- To begin, use a PC to download the latest PS4 firmware update to a USB drive.
- After that, connect your USB to your console (after turning off the console, of course).
- To enter safe mode, hold down the PS4’s power button for several seconds.
- You’ll notice “Update System Software” there.
- It should be possible to do so through USB.
Try it out and see if it works for you.
Check Any Hardware Faults:
- To begin, switch off your PS4 by pressing and holding the power button for 7 seconds. There will be two beeps.
- Disconnect the power line from the outlet at this point. Remove any cords that are attached as well.
- Remove the hard disc drive lid next.
- Verify that the hard disc drive is securely attached to the computer.
- Replace it with a new one by screwing it open and replacing it with a new one.
Remove the Rubber Foot:
This is a better choice if your PS4 turns on by itself and ejects the disc, but it can also cause the PS4 to switch on by itself because activating the disc tray also turns on the console. This is what you must do.
- Remove your console’s shiny outside panel first.
- A screw should be found near one of the console’s ridges on the side.
- If you tighten the screw, you could discover that your problem goes away.
- If this doesn’t work, more extreme steps, such as removing the rubber foot totally, may be required.
- Turn your console upside down and look for the rubber foot underneath your eject button.
- Grab it with pliers or tweezers and pull it out from behind the eject key.
This isn’t a brilliant solution, but it could be useful. Because the rubber foot can occasionally expand when the console becomes hot, it might accidentally hit the eject key.
You shouldn’t notice this problem if the foot isn’t present.
Turn Off Automatic Updates:
If auto-updates are turned on, your PS4 will turn on at night to install the updates. Here’s how to turn off this feature.
- (Select ‘settings’ from your home screen.)
- Select system.
- And Select ‘automatic downloads’ now.
- Remove the checkmark next to system software update files.
Avoid the APU Issue:
The accelerated processor unit might also be causing your PS4 to switch on and off (APU).
Your PS4 console’s APU may or may not be fixed to the motherboard. Because this item cannot be fixed, the only option is to purchase an alternative.
Overheating of the console is a typical cause of the APU becoming free from the motherboard. Take the following measures to avoid this from happening.
Make sure the console has enough air to cool down. Remove anything that may be obstructing the airflow. The system may be cooled with an auxiliary fan or air conditioner.
Excessive usage of the console is not recommended. This problem can also be caused by overuse.
Hopefully, this post has helped you understand how to solve if PS4 turns on by itself in the simplest manner. The issue of the PS4 turning on and off is very common.
There are several reasons for this. As previously said, the key is to test each remedy once to rule out potential reasons and identify the one impacting your PS4 console.